blog background

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Baby and Birthday

Adam posted last time so I thought I'd throw in some more details for you now that it's been a week since we found out the gender and celebrated Adam's birthday. On that same night, April 28th, Adam got to feel our little guy move for the first time. It was just like Linda said, babies move a lot right before you go to bed. I don't know who was more excited, but I know it made me feel like Adam could really be a part of this with me!

At our appointment, he was a pretty content baby. He stayed in the same curled-up position with one hand by his head and one hand between his legs and he was facing towards my back for most of the appointment which made it so we couldn't see his face or gender until the last 5 minutes. We peeked at his arms, brain activity, heartbeat, and legs until he would change positions, which only lasted long enough to get what we needed and then he curled up again. I was having a hard time figuring out what we were looking at on the screen and she wouldn't really stop and explain things very well to me. Luckily, when Adam was a volunteer at the hospital he interpreted for numerous patients getting ultrasounds so he knew what he was looking at and could help me out. He knew what questions to ask while I just stared at the screen in wonder. The ultrasound lady said he was the most difficult baby she'd seen all day. She was trying to be funny and joke that she hoped our baby wouldn't always be difficult. I just like to think that he'll be a cuddly baby like myself and Adam were when we were babies. =)

Before graduation I was working 3 days a week so I could finish up school, but I got so used to it that I didn't want to go back to waking up at 5:30(I know I'll have to once the baby comes) five days a week so....since graduation, I have changed my work schedule to only work Tues, Wed, and Thurs, which makes for 4 day weekends and no school...which means more time with Adam! We've played Super Mario Bros. Wii and our son goes crazy every time! He probably senses my elevated heart rate as I try to stay alive through each level and I think it's so funny! He also had a similar experience yesterday. I was taking a nap and Adam called me on his way home around 6pm. I was so startled by the call and my heart was racing...the baby was moving like crazy!

I have been able to read my first non-textbook in many years entitled: An Eight Cow Woman Deserves an Eight Cow man. I must add that I finished it in about 2-3 days and if you are familiar enough with the story of Johny Lingo for the title of the book to make you smile, then you should definitely read it! It goes over the 8 cows (character traits) that we should have in a relationship in a pretty funny way.

As many of you know, Adam and I like to celebrate "Hanukkah Birthdays." This means that we didn't order the gifts in time for them all to arrive before the birthday so we celebrate for about a week. After our ultrasound appointment Wednesday we went to Red Robin for his free birthday burger. Thursday we celebrated at Tucanos and redeemed his birthday meal there. His gifts that have been coming in the mail (all off his wish-list) have been: keychain light, rechargeable AA batteries, and the Lord of the Rings extended edition trilogy. We redeemed his birthday burger at Fudruckers yesterday and then stopped into Baskin Robbins for his free birthday scoop! He really knows which places to sign up for online huh? He received many cards and also a package from his dad with lots of yummy treats and a cookbook. I know he loved talking with his family on his birthday too! Last night we used giftcards for Target to get some camping equipment for our trip this weekend and we also got him some new t-shirts.
What a fun week it has been!

3 comments:

Relitz Rants said...

Wow that sounds like Adam had a great birthday!. Dad showed me all of the things he was going to send you for Adam's birthday and it all seemed very cool, especially the benya mix.

kate said...

*Alex rarely seemed excited about the baby, including feeling the baby move, especially Beckett. He tried to explain he likes to keep his emotions "close to the vest." oh brother.

*In utero Beckett went NUTS during Avatar...pretty funny.

*Hope the baby stays chill for you outside the womb, but I must say that Beckett moved around like crazy during his early ultrasound and now he's a calm, cuddly thing (maybe wore himself out early?).

*and nicely done on the 4-day weekend. you guys need to spend as much time as possible before medical school in CA.

*if I say it, it might come true, alright? i'm already planning outings with us and the boys.

*my i'm chatty when i should be in bed...

balloongal said...

I am glad you are writing about these experiences. They are so precious, the things you are going through. Good for you for enjoying them.